Friday, May 25, 2012

Prague!

Prague is the most beautiful city I have ever been to.  I have a feeling I’m going to start almost all of my blog posts that way; ______ is the most beautiful city I’ve ever been to.  But seriously, Prague’s got it goin’ on.  Majestic old buildings, diverse architecture, pretty parks, a rockin’ river and of course a ballin’ castle.

After drooling over Prague photos on various Pinterest boards, and hearing tall tales of an out of control pub crawl, I knew that I HAD to visit this city.  Let me tell you, it’s a good thing that I really wanted to go there because getting there was a real pain in the ass.  I’m terrible at planning trips, so naturally it wasn’t until maybe 5 days in advance that I was 100% set on going.  Since I was so late in deciding, all the plane tickets were WAY too expensive, and since a 10 hour train/bus combo was also too pricey I had to get creative.

Luckily I had another long weekend and Ian as my companion for this adventure.  My trip began on May 16th; a Wednesday evening after work.  I found myself a Mitfahrgelegenheit from Wuppertal to Munich.  This one was not as enjoyable as my first due to the massive amounts of holiday weekend traffic.  Probably took me upwards of 9 hours to finally get to Ian’s place Freising where I promptly fell asleep.  The two of us woke up relatively early on Thursday and started our voyage to Prague.  Rather than taking an expensive high-speed train Ian and I opted for a more scenic and  inexpensive option.  We used Deutschebahn’s Bayern-Bohemia group ticket which allows groups of up to 5 people to travel on regional trains throughout Bayern and part of the Czech Republic for 28 euro.  After 3 transfers that ticket took us as far as Plzen (the home of Pilsner beer!) and from there we needed a 5 euro ticket to Prague.  Travel costs were not so expensive, but in total our travel time was a little over 6 hours.  The way to Prague was very scenic and absolutely beautiful.  It was a little unnerving when we crossed the border though because not nearly as many people know English in the Czech Republic as they do in Germany.  We also had to exchange currency since the Czech Republic isn’t fully on the euro yet.  We found a sketchy currency exchange in Plzen and got ourselves some Czech Krowns.
Plzen Hbf. So beautiful.
Sketchy currency exchange
Once we got to Prague we found yet another obstacle.  Ian had booked us a hotel via Kayak.com, but when we actually got to the place they said there was no reservation for us!  It is a good thing that the walk through the city was so beautiful otherwise we would have been in a terrible mood.  After some frustration, the receptionist found us a place to stay at another hotel within their company, but it was ALL the way across town and we had to pay up for it.  Plus they only had a room for Thursday night, and we still didn’t know where we were going to stay on Friday night. Since the walk would have taken over an hour, we used our trusty map and hopped on a tram (without paying :/) and finally found “Hotel Red Lion”. With a name like that I think it was destiny.  The hotel was awesome but obviously more expensive than what we planned for.
Super swanky
 That night we really needed to unwind so went to the infamous Prague Pub Crawl http://www.pubcrawl.cz/prague-pub-crawl.  This pub crawl is legit. A total MUST if you ever go to Prague.  For 20 euros you get 1 hour of unlimited drinks at the “Prague Pub Crawl Bar” (yes, they have their own bar to start off the night!), entrance and a shot at 4 other bars, AND a t-shirt!  I won’t go into much detail, mostly because I don’t remember that much… but I will proudly say that I took a shot of Absinthe and that Döners might be the best drunk food ever.
Prague at night!
Pub crawlin'
 Friday morning we woke up and checked out of our hotel after a delicious complementary breakfast.  The receptionist at the Red Lion was super nice and found us a place to stay around the corner from where we were!  The only downside was that it was even more expensive than Hotel Red Lion.  We really broke the bank on lodging, but the places we stayed were SUPER nice.  At 11:00 we got to Old Town Square where we met up with a free city walking tour http://www.discover-prague.com/.  I highly recommend free walking tours!  The tour guides make money from tips and they are young, hip, and very knowledgeable.  Our guy was hilarious.
Beautiful.
Stunning.
Hilarious.
Friday evening we checked out the Prague castle, which was conveniently, RIGHT next to our hotel.   The place is a massive complex comprised of diverse and beautiful buildings.  Also, the climb up to the castle had a breathtaking view of the city.  Friday night we tried to find this fabled international beer fest, but we got hopelessly lost.  It was really a bummer, but we definitely did enough partying the night before so it wasn’t a complete tragedy.  We spent the evening enjoying each other’s company and strolling through the streets of Prague.  Every building in Prague is so old, beautiful, and well preserved.  Truly remarkable. 
Ballin' palace.
BEAUTIFUL city! And me!
 Saturday we got up, ate another delicious breakfast at our hotel, checked out, and headed back to Munich.  Our reason for leaving was two fold; we didn’t want to go broke paying for another night in a swanky hotel and we wanted to be in Munich to see Bayern München play Chelsea FC for the Champions League final.  Although Prague is a seriously cool place, I actually felt really relieved to cross back over the German border into a country where I can speak the language.  Being in the Czech Republic made me realize how much German I actually know!  Our trip back to Munich took about 7 hours and we met up with Ian’s co-op bros at an American sports bar (lolz) about 10 minutes into the first half.  For those of you that know the outcome of the game, you know that Ian and I probably should have sucked it up and stayed another night in Prague.  Sadly, Bayern lost in the last goal of a shoot-out.  I’d never seen so many grown men cry.  The city was absolutely dead after the game everywhere except for in the train stations.  All the trains were absolutely PACKED.  I’ve never felt more like a sardine in my life.  After a hot, sweaty, crowded, and somber ride home Ian and I got back to Freising at about 2am.
Sardines on the train in Munich!
 Sunday, we headed back into Munich and lounged around in the Englischer Gartens all day.  This park is huge.  It’s one of the world’s largest urban public parks.  It’s bigger than Central Park.  And it has beautiful landscaping, a man-made surfing zone, and creepy nudists.  It’s a seriously wild place.  Sunday night I caught another Mitfahr back to Wuppertal with guess who? Lorenz! The same guy as my first Mitfahr!  I spent Sunday evening cruising in style back to Wuppertal, thinking about all the awesome things I had done that weekend, and feeling very satisfied.
Loungin'.

2 comments:

  1. I've been to Prague. You're right -it is beautiful! We didn't do the pub crawl though.

    I watched the Bayern - Chelsea match at a pub here in Karlsruhe. No crying here. People were disappointed, but not being Bavarian it wasn't a totally traumatic experience ;-)

    ~ Bevchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to go back an visit Prague again. I feel like there is still so much to explore!

    ReplyDelete