Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Amsterdam!

Amsterdam feels like a dream.  It’s hard to believe that I actually visited the infamous city of sex, drugs, and squalor.  Though I did encounter my fair share of those things (just kidding…), I’m pleased to report that Amsterdam has SO much more to offer.

My Frau-counterpart Josi and I travelled my train to visit our friend Barynia, who is currently studying abroad in Amsterdam.  We had a holiday on Tuesday May 1st, so in true German fashion, we took Monday as a bridge day and gave ourselves a 4 day weekend.  I love the way this country takes holidays.  Josi had quite a long travel from Stuttgart, but I only had a 3 hour train ride from Wuppertal.  I didn’t reserve myself a seat this trip, so I had to switch seats a couple times, but I still managed to sleep the majority of the ride.  Like I said, I am a champion sleeper. 

I arrived in Amsterdam around 5pm on Friday.  Barinya and I greatly overestimated our ability to just “find each other at the front” of the Bahnhof, so I did quite a bit of wandering before we finally bumped into each other.  During my short meandering I heard about every language imaginable, saw more bikes in one place than I’ve ever seen before, and saw someone smokin’ a joint on the street.  Hellooo Amsterdam!  I finally found B, and we started our trek back to her place.  On our way we managed to almost get run over by bicycles, we got croquettes from a walk-in vending machine, and walked through the illustrious Red Light District, all the while passing “coffee shop” after “coffee shop”.   The normally extremely lively city was especially teeming with people because that weekend was also a holiday in the Netherlands; Konninginstag, or Queensday. 
FEBO is the whoop.
 Josi arrived a little later that evening and shortly after her arrival the three of us got ready for my first ever Dubstep concert; Major Lazer.  We headed to the venue by foot and then partook in the craziest dance party I’ve ever experienced.  I had never danced so hard in my life!  Even though Major Lazer had finished performing, the party raged on well into the wee hours of the night.  We then headed back to B’s place on our danced-out feet.  Quick comment on walking ridiculously late at night; it wasn’t even an issue.  First of all, the city is actually really small, so basically any place is walkable.  Secondly, I have never felt unsafe walking around anywhere in Europe after dark (thus far).  However, I still maintain my street-wise Clifton tendencies of always checking over my shoulder. 
Together in Amsterdam!
The next day we awoke and headed out toward the Anne Frank house.  I myself have never actually read the Diary of Anne Frank, but of course I knew vaguely about her story.  There was about an hour wait to get into the house-turned-museum.  Even though it was a dreary and drizzly day, we opened up our umbrellas and got in line.  I’m really glad that we decided to wait because walking through the house and hearing more about the story was a truly eye opening experience.  We learned about the timeline of their family going into hiding, and the people who helped conceal them.  All the while, we were actually walking through the house where the people actually hid.  It’s one thing to read a story, and try to imagine the situation, but it’s a completely different feeling to actually see the story.   We walked through the secret door concealed as a bookcase, we saw the bathroom that 3 families shared, we even went through Anne Frank’s room where she wrote the majority of her diary.  It’s unbelievable that so many people shared such a small space without ever getting to set foot outside.  It was especially emotional at the end of the tour when we learned how the Frank family and others were discovered and transported to the concentration camps where all except for Anne’s father met their demise.  And only a few months before the war was over.  One can’t help but get emotional. 

After that sobering experience, we took some time to reflect as we walked back to B’s place.  WWII really wasn’t that long ago, and it’s always going to be a touchy issue.  Very much like slavery in the US; these racial issues are something that we are still working on even today.  These are deep and complex issues that I am not eloquent enough to write about, so on to later that evening…

On Saturday night we had another Dubstep concert to go to at the same venue; Pretty Lights and Skrillex.  I thought the concert the night before was intense, but holy hell.  When Skrillex came on, the place EXPLODED! People we moshing, screaming, and getting lifted into the air!  Such an insane show. The party went on again until the early morning, and we walked home on exhausted legs. 
Madness.
Sunday morning we slept way in, and then headed to the Van Gogh Museum.  Barinya was able to find some museum cards from her friends that we could borrow, so we got to skip the line and get into the museum for free!  Such a win.  The museum was cool because it was set up in chronological order, so you really got a feel for how Van Gogh’s artistic style progressed.   Something I found interesting was that Van Gogh was working for an art dealer when one day he just decided that he wanted to be an artist.  The dude didn’t even know if he could paint, and he just made up his mind that art was something that he wanted to do.  Van Gogh was a super cool guy, plus he was a ginger - right on.  We were all very proud of ourselves because we did a good job balancing our partying out with important cultural activities. 
Me being awkward outside the Van Gogh museum
In front of the 'I Amsterdam' sign
Sunday night was “Queens Night”, so naturally we had to go out and celebrate.  We flocked with the masses to a popular club to dance the night away.  This was my first “club” experience… I am an avid bar-goer, but I had never been to a strictly “dance club” before.  It was a really fun night, but I personally prefer the laid back setting of bars.  We decided to “end the night early” around 3am because we had a full day of celebrating ahead of us tomorrow.

Josi and I decked out for Queensday
Monday we were out of bed and ready for Queensday around 11.  The city was swarmed with orange-clad people dancing and drinking in the streets in the honor of the Queen’s birthday.  Queensday is also the only day of the year that you can sell things on the street without a permit, so the streets were morphed into a giant garage sale party.  There were free concerts all throughout the city.  It was essentially an all day, city-wide party.  I wish I could tell you more juicy details, but honestly, my memory is a little fuzzy ;). 





My weekend in Amsterdam was an unforgettable time.  I can’t thank Barinya enough for hosting us and showing us a truly amazing time.  I got the chance to see not only the “stereotypical” side of Amsterdam, but also the beauty of the city and it’s people.

No comments:

Post a Comment