Thursday, July 19, 2012

Heidelberg

Es tut mir leid for the lack of posts on here lately.  I promise I have been doing exciting things I just have been too preoccupied to blog about them.  I'm realizing that my time here is quickly winding down - I can't believe that I only have a little over a month here in Germany!  I've been continuing to try and take advantage of travelling as much as possible.

This past weekend I met up with Ian in lovely little Heidelberg, Germany.  I confess, I have this horrible habit of falling asleep within 7 minutes of a train ride.  Most of the time, it's not a horrible habit, but more of a useful skill.  However when your train ride is a 3 hour jaunt along the Rhine river passing picturesque cities and medieval castles you kinda want to stay awake for it!  Unfortunately I wasn't able to snap any good pictures from my train, but tust me, it was breathtaking.

The breathtaking views continued on throughout the whole weekend in Heidelberg.  The most marvelous part of Heidelberg is of course the ruins of the old castle.  The earliest castle structures were built around 1214 AD.  1214 AD I say!  The age of some things in Europe still blows my mind.  Some of the castle was destroyed, some still stands, but all of it is beautiful.  Not only is the red stone castle a gorgeous sight, but the views over the quaint city nestled in the river valley are best from the castle grounds.
It was windy up there!

Castle ruins

View over Heidelberg and the Neckar river

Part of the castle chunked off...

I mean seriously Germany, stop being so freaking beautiful.
Heidelberg is also famous for it's old university, Universität Heidelberg.  Founded in 1386, it is the oldest university in Germany.  I'm telling you, the age of some of the stuff over here!  It's incredible!  My favorite part of the old university was the Studentenkarzer or "student prison".  It's basically a place for the establishment to lock up unruly students for their bad behavior, i.e. getting really drunk and setting some hogs loose.  I think Wikipedia describes it best: "While Karzer arrest originally would have been a severe punishment, the respect for these punishment diminished with time, particularly in the 19th century, as it came a matter of honour to have been incarcerated at least once during one's time at university. At the end of 19th century, as the students in the cell became responsible for their own food and drink and receiving of visitors became permitted, the "punishment" would often turn into a social occasion with excessive consumption of alcohol." Oh Germany, you are awesome.
Enter if you dare...
Apparently silhouettes were the thing to do?
A typical confinement room. 
I fear the day that Cincinnati embraces it's German heritage and institutes a Karzer... 
So awesome.
Hello beautiful.
This weekend I'm headed to Hamburg to meet up with Michelle! More German adventures to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment