Monday, July 2, 2012

Schroeder Eurotrip Part 1

As I excitedly stated in my last blog post… my parents and Trev are here visiting me in Germany!  The arrived to Düsseldorf on Saturday the 16th and ever since then we’ve been adventuring around Germany and beyond! Monday through Thursday the three of them stayed with my roomies and I in Wuppertal, and while I was at work they trotted around North Rhine Westphalia visiting Köln, Düsseldorf, Bonn and everywhere in between.  I was able to join them for some adventures (mostly revolving around eating) after I got off work, and I was lucky enough to take the day off on Friday so we could all travel to Munich together Thursday evening.  My dad rented a car, an Audi A6 of course, and we drove on the autobahn down to Munich. 

Friday morning we woke up early with an ambitious schedule ahead of us.  We jumped into our lovely rental car and headed south, to Austria, where we found the Zugspitze!  The Zugspitze is an awesome huge gondola that takes you to the top of one of the highest peaks in the Alps. The peak also happens to be right on the border between Germany and Austria, so I was technically in two countries while I was on top of this ridiculous mountain.  The views were truly marvelous, and I even got to eat “Germany’s highest Bratwurst”.  After we spent some time on the mountaintop, we headed back down and started our drive to Neuschwanstein castle.  It was only a short trip from the Zugspitze to the castle, so before no time we joined the other hoards of tourists and headed up to the castle.  It was awesome to see the fairy tale castle in real life, and it’s no wonder King Ludwig would want to build his castle there – the landscape is incredible!
Oh hey Alps! 
On my way up the Zugspitze!
Reppin' my bearcats on a mountain top, the usual.
In the clouds!
Oh hey Neuschwanstein!
Just missing one!
 After an incredibly filled morning and afternoon we headed back to Munich to catch a public viewing at the Olympic Stadium of the Germany vs Greece Eurocup game.  As if we hadn’t done enough that day, we decided to rally and get rowdy with the Germans.  The atmosphere of the Olympic stadium was awesome, and Germany gave Greece a proper spanking so everyone left in a good mood.
German fanatics!

Saturday we woke up a little later and decided to take the day to roam around the city and sample the local food and beverages.  We visited biergartens big and small and enjoyed food and drink.  We started the day at Augusteiner brauhaus where I enjoyed some dunkel beer and German spatzel.  We wandered around the shopping district and saw the Glockenspiel.  After some more walking around, we headed to the Hofbrauhaus München where Ian met back up with us to watch the Spain vs France game.  Spain ended up winning which is unfortunate because they will be a worthy opponent of Germany, in the event Germany makes it to the final. 

Sunday we took advantage of the Bayern group ticket and all five of us headed across the border to Salzburg.  We visited the glamorous palace/state rooms of the regent princes and toured the fortress of a castle.  We got to see the room where Mozart first preformed and walk around inside the walls of one of the most fortified castles in Europe.  I wish that we had more time to spend in this beautiful city, but alas, I had to head all the way back to Wuppertal that evening for work the following week.  My family is going to keep adventuring around Switzerland and Germany until we meet in Paris June 28th!  Schroeder Eurotrip is going strong!

The Salzburg castle!
View from the top! Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment