Thursday, April 26, 2012

Greenservations 3: Biomüll

Sure composting exists in the US, but it is not practiced as widely or strictly as it is here in Germany.  Biomüll is all organic waste; fruits, veggies, and some napkins for example.  It’s essentially compost.  Wikipedia say that “From 1990 to 2004, the collection of organic waste in Germany has increased tenfold to 10 million tons / year”.  Man I love Wikipedia, and the Germans.  People in Germany have such a heightened sense of environmental responsibility.  It is just inherently a part of how they live their lives; I wish we had this widespread collective mentality in the states. 

I’m amazed by how seriously the Germans take their waste separations (a post dedicated to that will come later).  In my apartment, we have separate “garbage” cans for plastics, paper, regular waste, and Biomüll.  Those receptacles were listed by order of size, largest to smallest.  That’s right, our largest receptacle is for plastic recyclables, then paper recyclables, and then regular waste and Biomüll are about the same size.  Can you believe that?! Nearly EVERYTHING is recycled or composted here.  And the “garbage men” pick up all of the separated items on a building to building basis. It’s a fantastic system. 

Biomüll separation isn’t just something that you do at your household, waste bins in public places have places for Biomüll disposal also.  At work, we have waste separation bins too!  I was truly astounded by how commonplace and accepted composting is here in Germany.  I mean, I got scolded for tossing my apple core in the regular waste bin (in my defense, it was before I knew where our work Biomüll container was located).  I wonder when composting is going to become this widely practiced in the states?  Is curbside compost pick-up in our near future?  I sure hope so, because it’s a truly brilliant and sustainable concept.  What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment